As the good weather of late spring approaches, it has us craving one thing- road trips! Whether they are long or short drives, there is nothing quite like packing up the car for a couple of days and heading out for a change of scenery. Time spent with the ones you love seems easier to come by when you are away from the everyday distractions and responsibilities of everyday home life. Here are a few places which fit the bill for gorgeous scenery, fun activities, and plenty of new restaurants and spots to explore.
It might seem a tad silly to head to a destination less than an hour away from home, but with time and money increasingly scarce these days, places close to home are as appealing as ever. In under an hour, you too could be lounging on the deck of your swanky boutique hotel, feeling miles away from the monotony of everyday life. Turn on the out-of-office early and forgo the Friday night traffic as you stroll down to dinner at COMO in Carillion Point. Wake up early the next day and skirt along the water's edge in an electric duffy boat as you admire the jaw-dropping homes and personal floatplanes along Yarrow Point. Drive under the 520 bridge for both a new perspective and a fun photo op. Order ahead and compile the most mouth-watering picnic from DERU Market, complete with roasted chicken sandwiches on fresh focaccia, fresh herb-tossed fries, and a killer piece of chocolate cake with salted peanut butter frosting. Camp out for the day at Waverly Park and bask in the sunshine, people-watching, and if you are feeling brave, a dip in the chilly water. As a Seattleite, I often find myself on the shores of Puget Sound, so hanging out along Lake Washington offers a fresh new vantage point.
Perched high above the shore of Lake Chelan is a vacation community offering the best of what Chelan has to offer. From spacious outdoor spaces for sunbathing, hanging out, or dining al fresco to thoughtfully designed interiors just perfect for your next family get-together. Spend your days boating around Lake Chelan and your nights cozied up around a fire pit, swimming in the pool, or grilling up something tasty. Venture out to a blueberry farm for a hearty breakfast before spending the day out on the water or touring local wineries. When it is sunshine and fresh open spaces you crave look no further than Lake Chelan.
- Blueberry Hill Farm
- 1315 Washington St. Manson, WA 98831
- Blueberry Hills serves breakfast and lunch from 8 a.m. -3 p.m. year-round. They are known for their fresh, hand-rolled crust for pies, Danish yeast waffles, blintzes, and a 400-mile French dip sandwich.
- Mi Paloma Cocina u Cultura
- 75 Wapato Way Manson, WA 98831
- Mexican kitchen serving traditional, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free.
- Shoreline Rentals
- 619 West Manson Highway, Chelan, WA 98816
Patterson Lake Cabins in Winthrop, Washington
What do wildflowers, scenic views, and dozens of trails to hike or bike along have in common? They can all be found in Winthrop this time of year. When it is sunshine and empty trails you are seeking, leave the hustle and bustle of the I90 corridor and head to the North Cascades. After a day of being amongst the flowers, settle into your cabin on Patterson Lake to fish, kayak, and SUP until the sun goes down. Wake up for an early morning horseback ride or a quiet morning paddle on the lake. Make sure to stop by East 20 Pizza for a calzone and some handmade dipped caramel squares before leaving town.
- Sheri's Sweet Shop
- 207 Riverside Ave. Winthrop, WA 98862
- Offering hand-dipped chocolate, bulk candy, and ice cream.
- Lewis Butte
- A five-mile gently graded hike through fields of wildflowers and views of the Methow Valley.
- Patterson Mountain
- A four-mile hike up Patterson Mountain with great views along the Methow from Twisp to Mazama.
Getaway in Glenwood, Washington
Have you ever dreamed of owning a tiny cabin in the woods? Do you dislike the "roughing it" part of camping or the headache of loud campers nearby but still enjoy being in nature? This collection of cabins is situated amongst 80 acres in the woods and offers the comforts of home without distractions. Choose between one or two-bed cabins that have private showers, toilets, sinks, mini-fridges, and stoves. Spend your evenings by the fire pit and your days amongst the trees. To create your very own remote experience in nature, make sure to check out Getaway. A new outpost in Mount Vernon, WA, is opening later this summer.
- Backwoods Brewing Co.
- 1162 B Wind River Hwy, Carson, WA 98610
- Backwoods Brewing Company is a family-owned and locally-operated craft brewery. They source all their ingredients from the Northwest, and their Carson, WA location is famous for their pizza.
- Hood River: considered the "windsurfing capital of the country." There are also beaches, parks, and scenic views of the Columbia River Gorge.
- Klickitat Canyon Hike: hike along the longest undammed river in Washington state.
Disclaimer: While some products, services and/or accommodations in this post were provided without charge, all of the opinions within are those of the author and the Seattle Refined editorial board.