When we first met Danielle Kartes back in 2019, we quickly realized her joy for life and cooking was contagious. We had a feeling big things were in store for this wife and mom of two — and we were right!
Over the last few years, Kartes has written several cookbooks and has made many appearances on The Kelly Clarkson Show. She even gets recognized in public these days.
"A lot of times, people will say 'Are you the cooking lady?' and I say, 'I am the cooking lady, that’s 100 percent it,'" Kartes said. "We were even in Reno at the Peppermill Casino and I got recognized and my family was over the moon. It was a really fun moment."
Kartes is known to keep things light-hearted. But now she's sharing a more serious chapter of her life with her new book "You Were Always There," which is a collection of essays about Kartes' life.
"I think we can lose who we are to careers, to tough marriages, to divorce to... you name it and hard things happen and we change," Kartes said. "And I think I always thought if I could get back to that girl who I used to be, everything will be okay. If I could get back to when I looked a certain way, everything will be fine. But You Were Always There is that I believe you can not lose who God made you. I think we are all special and individual and we have this wonderful thing to offer to the world if we just love who we are."
Kartes' new book also comes with recipes that are special to her, like Lemon Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Garlic & Lemon Aioli:
- Serves 4
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Roast time 40-60 minutes
- 2-3 pounds assorted Idaho fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 sprigs of rosemary, removed from the stem
- 2 lemons, one sliced very thinly, one halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic & lemon aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped and mashed into a paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and add them to the baking tray along with olive oil and rosemary. Add thin lemon slices to the pan. Squeeze juice from halved lemon over the entire pan of potatoes. Season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat the mixture evenly. Roast 40-60 minutes.
To make the aioli, mix the ingredients and serve alongside potatoes. Keeps 3-4 days in the fridge.
To check out more recipes and Danielle Kartes' new book You Were Always There, head to her website http://www.rusticjoyfulfood.com/
You can also join Danielle Kartes as she kicks off her 'You Were Always There' book tour in Tacoma on Friday, May 6. This evening is all about hope, joy, laughter, and good food! You'll laugh and cry with Danielle as she shares her journey, talks about the book, and imparts advice for loving the life you have right now in this moment and for laughing at life's many ups and downs. Her anecdotes on motherhood, marriage, and just plain living will fill your cup and inspire you to tackle what life throws your way. Each paid event ticket includes one signed copy of the book 'You Were Always There.' For more information CLICK HERE