Joel Gamoran is a chef, TV host and the author of "Cooking Scrappy." Now, he's also the head chef and founder of Seattle-based Homemade.
"Homemade is a livestream cooking school. It's totally for free," said Gamoran. "We are live throughout the week. People can sign up, and they can interact with us from all over the world."
I enlisted Gamoran's help in making an elevated yet easy-to-execute brunch dish that's perfect for a holiday get-together. He delivered an unbelievably delicious butternut squash galette. The great thing about this galette is that while it's perfect for brunch, it could easily be served as an appetizer or as part of a phenomenal holiday dinner spread.
"I totally dig galettes. They're like an open-face pie that has no rules," said Gamoran. "You can put anything you have in the fridge, anything you have in the freezer and wrap it up in this flaky, buttery crust. It comes out of the oven, and you look like a rockstar."
Butternut Squash Galette
Recipe by: Joel Gamoran / Homemade
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
- 1 (2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 small red onion, cut through the core into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces Habanero Cheese (or a spicy cheese of your choice), shredded (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees
- On a large baking sheet, toss the butternut squash and onion with the olive oil, thyme and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gentle unfold and lay out the pie crust on the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the crust, leaving a two-inch border around the edges uncovered.
- Arrange the squash and onion on top of the cheese. Fold the uncovered border over the edge of the squash and pinch into pleats.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is browned. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and serve.