We recently got back from a trip to Victora B.C.., where we had tea at the incredible Fairmont Empress Resort Victoria. And while the whole experience was wonderful (see above video), we walked away absolutely in love with their holiday cookies.
You saw them on TV - now, don't you want to make them? We nabbed the recipe from the Fairmont, for their AMAZING Cinnamon Star Cookies. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Star Cookies
Yield: 30 cookies
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
- Ground Almonds - 6 cups
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Lemon zest - 1/2 a lemon
- Brown sugar - 1 cup
- Cinnamon Powder - 4 tsp
- Egg white - 10 tbsp
Royal Icing for the Tops
- Icing sugar - 1.5 cups
- Egg white - 1.5 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
Preparation (Cookie Dough)
- Mix together ground almond, zest, sugars and cinnamon powder.
- Add the egg whites and mix until the dough binds together, Note: Add extra ground almonds if the dough is very sticky
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 20 minutes in a refrigerator
- Roll the dough to 7 mm thickness and spread a thin layer of royal icing on top.
- Freeze the dough for 30 minutes before cutting out the cookies using a star cutter.
- Place the cookies spaced evenly on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Rest the cookies for 2 hours at room temperature before baking.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Bake the cookies for 14 minutes. Let the cookies cool down to room temperature before storing in air tight containers.
- Mix together egg white, sugar and lemon juice and whip until light and fluffy.