Be honest: have you ever worn a cowboy hat?
We’re guessing 95% of you answered yes.
We’re also guessing many of you felt a bit like a fraud, knowing you were donning the headwear of John Wayne, Billy the Kid and Doc Holliday, without ever having ridden a horse, danced a square or cooked your dinner over an open flame.
Fear not! Grand County, Colorado is here to make you a bona fide cowboy/girl.
Known as “The Dude Ranch Capitol of the United States,” Grand County is home to four world-class dude ranches, just 90 minutes from Denver. All are all-inclusive (score!), but each has something special to offer the weary traveler.
Relaxation and personal attention are the passwords at Bar Lazy J. The owner even keeps a supply of hats and boots for visitors who arrive without them. And during the summer, the staff puts on a Friday night talent show for guests.
- Oldest continuously operated guest ranch in Colorado
- Located on the Gold Medal trout fishing waters of the Colorado River near Parshall
- Favorite fishing destination since 1912
- Adjacent to 30,000 acres of state and federal forestlands
- An upscale, family style dude ranch, C Lazy U offers luxury accommodations, elegant dining, and first-name-basis service.
- Riding available on 8,000 acres of trails and in the 10,000-square-foot indoor arena
- Tennis, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing (shuttles to nearby ski resorts)
- Extensive supervised programs for children age 3 and up – and teens
- Located on the banks of Willow Creek are the ranch’s “spa tents”, luxurious retreats where guests can enjoy traditional treatments including massages, facials and manicures/pedicures
- Working cattle ranch, with guests able to participate in cattle drives and other western adventures
Nestled in its own private mountain valley, the 600-acre ranch has specialized in providing authentic western vacations for over 70 years.
- Focus on children’s program, family atmosphere, horseback riding, meals and entertainment
- Honored as Best All Inclusive Resort in the World in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 TripAdvisor Traveler’s Choice Awards. The Family Vacation Critic named the ranch the No. 1 Best Dude Ranch for Families in 2011.
Located near Kremmling in the western part of the county, Latigo Ranch’s focus is on horsemanship – and on creating a personal and intimate feel.
- Homemade caramel corn upon arrival
- Accommodations limited to 35 guests
- Careful matching of guests with horses (temperament, physical requirements, ability, progress)
- Authentic cattle drive with a local rancher available for experienced riders (third week of September)
- The Ranch has been named “Best Dude Ranch in Colorado” in “Colorado’s Best: The Essential Guide to Favorite Places” and one of the top 50 ranches in the world by Top50Ranches.com