Recently I was looking for a way to spruce up a plain orange pillow cover that had been lying around my home for months. Following in the footsteps of the millions of crafters that have come before me, I started looting my home to find things I had on hand to transform this basic pillow cover into something new. Why leave your home (and your slippers) for supplies when there is always some treasure to be found inside the four walls of your home?
My treasure took the form of a pile of grey felt I had left over from a prior project. When I spotted my felt scraps I instantly knew I was going to make a felt flower pillow. I had explored DIY projects creating felt flower pillows before, but they all had instructions that involved cutting about 100+ individual circles to create the flower petals. Knowing there had to be a faster way, I came up with this method!
- Pillow cover
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Baubles - These could be plastic gems, sparkly felt circles, or even flat rocks if you want a more natural look.
- Cut your felt into 1.5 - 2 inch wide strips. The length of the strips can vary depending on the size of the felt pieces you have.
- Fold your strips over on each other and cut a repeating half circle pattern into the top edge.
- Starting at the outer edge of the pillow, lay your felt strips on the pillow cover creating a circle pattern.
- Continue laying your felt strips down in a spiral pattern until you have the entire flower complete. You want to make sure you have the full layout in place before you start gluing.
- Once your flower layout is complete, flip the whole thing over onto a flat surface and peel the pillow cover away from the felt. This should leave your flower pattern intact.
- Starting with the outer felt strips, run a line of hot glue along the flat edge and attach them to the pillow.
- Continuing gluing until the entire flower is complete.
- When you get all of your petals attached, cut out a circle of felt to cover any center seams.
- Glue your baubles around the outer edge of the felt circle.
- Glue the felt circle to the center of your flower.