When I was 19 all of the clothes in my closet were black. My bedroom was filled with black furniture, plastered with posters of The Cure, and I tucked myself in each night underneath a black comforter. One day my mother invited me to go shopping. I met her at the mall, because obviously I wasn't going to be seen riding in the same car with her, and she took me to EXPRESS. She said that she'd buy me anything that I wanted in the whole storeas long as it wasn't black. I left with one charcoal gray cardigan and one frustrated mother.
If you'd told that version of me that one of my favorite colors 20ish years later would be bright pink, I would have kicked your shoes with my Doc Martens. Okay, maybe I wouldn't have kicked you, but I definitely would have choked on my Big Gulp Diet Coke snorting with laughter.
Pink makes me happy. All shades of pink. But today I want to focus on the brightest of the bunch. Here are some of my favorite things featuring bright shades of pink.
- The colorful paintings of Pacific Northwest artist Camille Patha include the loveliest shades of pink. You can find some of Camille's work in Pioneer Square at Davidson Galleries.
- This orchid pillow from Anthropologie is the brightest of pinks.
- Zoë Pawlak is a Vancouver, BC artist who recently collaborated with Burritt Bros. Carpet & Floors on The Over Ocean Collection, a series of rugs based on her beautiful abstract paintings.
- You're guaranteed to find beautiful shades of pinks and every other color of the rainbow in color aficionado Will Taylor's book Bright Bazaar: Embracing Color for Make-You-Smile Style.
- I can't think of a better bag to hold a book about color than this Emilio Pucci tote from Nordstrom.
My day seems brighter already!