I don't know about you but as soon as the calendar strikes October 1, I am immediately in the Halloween spirit. I am ready to binge scary movies, watch spooky make up tutorials and eat candy corn until I pop.
So when I heard that Washington has its very own Halloween town, I was freakin' P-U-M-P-E-D.
The small town of Bucoda, population of 562, turns into Boo-coda for the month of October. Bucoda is located only 20 miles southeast from Olympia and the entire tiny town works hard for one month and one month only to create the spookiest town west of the Mississippi.
There is a haunted gym. There are hearse races. There are pumpkin carving contests. Heck, the Mayor of Boo-coda may even dress as a zombie and the city councilman as an undertaker.
There are events almost daily for you to fully lean into the season. Here's what's on the docket for the month and we DARE you to venture over there to experience it yourself:
- The Scary Nights Haunted House happens each Friday and Saturday in October. The town gym, which has had reports of paranormal activity, transforms into one of the scariest haunted houses in the state. It’s not recommended for children, but there are family-friendly versions for brave little ones.
- On October 13, join or watch the casket races down main street. Businesses and individual will be awarded for speed in the categories of first, second and third and dead last. Creativity will be accounted for, with awards for Scariest Casket, Funniest Casket, and Best Costumed Team and Cortege
- Jack-O'-Lantern Pumpkin Carving Contest takes place October 20, inviting kids and adults to participate. Awards will be given by age categories, in addition to the “scariest” and most “creative.”
- Take place in a group recreation of Michael Jackson’s Halloween-style hit, on October 27 during the Thrill the World Thriller Dance. Perfect those zombie moves with lessons offered on select dates throughout the month.
- Scaredy cats and urban dwellers can take part in the festivities from afar with a Boo-berry milkshake from Eastside Big Tom’s burger joint. This crazy concoction includes “boo-berry” breakfast cereal, blue raspberry and marshmallow. It may sound a tad bit scary, but in Big Tom we trust. While you’re there, snag a $2 off coupon to Scary Nights Haunted House.
UGH. I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!