Get outside and end your summer on a positive and inspired note – Standup for the Cure is coming to Sunset Beach at Lake Sammamish, where you can have fun and help save lives!
There are so many local women who don’t have access to resources that help them detect breast cancer early. According to the Susan G. Komen website, around one in eight women develop breast cancer during their lifetime and so early detection really, really helps increase the chances of survival.
So come August 26th, we invite you to join KOMO 4 and Seattle Refined to Standup for the Cure. There will be stand-up paddle-boarding, live music, food trucks, raffle prizes, drinks at the social garden and swag bags!
Ready to get out and support a good cause? Here’s all you need to know:
- Never done it before? No worries! There will be SUP instructors at the lake, so you’ll be a pro in no time.
- You don’t have to own your own paddleboard. There will be plenty of boards on hand for people to demo, and you can also rent boards for the full day so that you can have easier access to the water whenever you want.
- In order to attend the event, you just have to register online. Once you register, you can create a fundraiser page, join or start a team and begin collecting donations to benefit local women and help save lives through early detection. All registered participants get free event jerseys and swag bags, not to mention a drink ticket and a free lunch from Ivar’s Seafood & Chowder. The top fundraising teams will earn spots in the Survivors Relay.
- If you can’t attend the event but still want to support the cause, you can also donate to the fundraiser online! Every $125 donated to Komen helps a local women receive an early detection exam – this can *literally* save someone’s life, so get those donations in!
- Since Lake Sammamish is a state park, you will need a Discovery Pass to park there. There will be different stations where you can purchase a one-day parking pass. You can also purchase an annual pass, which grants you parking access to State Parks all throughout Washington State. Parking will fill up fast, so carpool to the event to make sure you get a spot!
Overall, there aren’t many reasons NOT to support the event! The KOMO and Seattle Refined team will be out on the lake all day, so come join us and Standup for the Cure. For more information, visit the website.