Make a difference and have fun with Standup for the Cure! Coming to Lake Sammamish State Park on August 25, this event is the perfect way to end your summer while changing lives.
There are so many local women who don’t have access to resources that help them detect breast cancer early. According to the Susan G. Komen website, around one in eight women develop breast cancer during their lifetime, and early detection is vital to increase chances of survival.
So come August 25th, we invite you to join KOMO 4, Seattle Refined, and STAR 101.5 to Standup for the Cure. There will be stand-up paddle-boarding, yoga, instructor-led demos and clinics, live music, happy hour, and lunch!
Ready to get out and support a good cause? Here’s all you need to know:
- Never done it before? No worries! There will be SUP instructors at the lake, so you’ll be a pro in no time.
- Is paddle boarding not your thing? Don’t sweat it! It will be just as fun as a “dry-foot” participant. It is a festival style event with plenty of booths and activities to enjoy on land.
- You don’t have to own your own paddleboard. There will be plenty of boards on hand for people to demo, and you can also rent boards for the full day so that you can have easier access to the water whenever you want.
- In order to attend the event, you just have to register online. Once you register, you can create a fundraiser page, join or start a team and begin collecting donations to benefit local women and help save lives through early detection. All registered participants get a free SUP Jersey, free mammograms in a mobile clinic (with insurance coverage, so don’t forget your insurance card), free lessons with SUP champions, entry to fun races for the family, access to the silent auction and opportunity to win amazing prizes with a raffle.
- If you can’t attend the event but still want to support the cause, you can also donate to the fundraiser online! Every $125 donated to Komen helps a local woman receive an early detection exam – this can *literally* save someone’s life, so get those donations in!
- Since Lake Sammamish is a state park, you will need a Discovery Pass to park there. There will be different stations where you can purchase a one-day parking pass. You can also purchase an annual pass, which grants you parking access to State Parks all throughout Washington State. Parking will fill up fast, so carpool to the event to make sure you get a spot!
If you’ve always wanted to join the KOMO team on-air, you can have the next best thing and join our team on the water! We will have two teams, the KOMO Morning Crew and the KOMO Night Crew, so feel free to join either and get ready to compete.
Whether you are paddle boarding or just want to enjoy the beach, this is going to be a memorable event you won’t want to miss! The KOMO, Seattle Refined, and STAR 101.5 team will be out on the lake all day, so come join us and Standup for the Cure. For more information, visit the website.