Before too long, summer will be coming to an end – I know, we’re pretty bummed about it too. But instead of letting that get you down, we suggest ending your summer the right way and standup for a great cause.
On August 26th, the Susan G. Komen Puget Sound, KOMO 4 and Seattle Refined are hosting a day of stand-up paddle-boarding, music, food, drinks and more in order to raise money and awareness for breast cancer and the importance of early detection.
Pretty much everyone knows someone who has been affected by this disease – in fact, around one in eight women will develop breast cancer at some point in their lifetime. Needless to say, early detection greatly increases a woman’s chance of survival.
So that is what this event is all about! Supporting the amazing humans who have fought and/or are fighting, and coming together to celebrate and raise money for those who may need that support in the future. Not only will the event be a great way to enjoy the outdoors, but it’s also a chance to raise money and support women throughout the Puget Sound community.
Need more convincing? Here are 5 reasons why you should Standup for the Cure!
- KOMO 4 News personalities will be there to join you! Mike Ferreri, Morgan Chesky, Mary Nam and Kelly Koopmans will have a team out on the water, paddle-boarding for the cause. Get a group of friends together and head out to the lake to join them.
- You really don’t have to be an expert to attend. Even if you have never paddle-boarded before, you’ll have an opportunity to learn from instructors at the event. They will be renting paddle boards too, so you don’t have to worry about buying one beforehand.
- It’s a great cause – you can literally help save lives. So many women in the Puget Sound area are uninsured and unable to receive examinations that help doctors detect the cancer early on. By attending Standup for the Cure, you’ll be raising money that will go towards giving uninsured, local women breast examinations – which can potentially save their lives!
- It’s going to be really fun. A lake, relay races, food/drink and prizes! Perfect way to send summer out with a bang. If you register for the event, you get a free lunch from Ivar’s Seafood & Chowder. There will also be food trucks at the event like Thai-U-Up, Athena’s and Island Blends Acai. You’ll also receive a drink ticket for the social garden (21+) where you can enjoy Barefoot Wine, Mac and Jack’s beer, and Tito’s Handmade Vodka.
- It’s the perfect opportunity to get out and enjoy beautiful Lake Sammamish while doing something meaningful. It’s just eight miles outside of the Emerald City but still offers the perfect outdoor escape. Lake Sammamish is surrounded by stunning beaches, forests and wetlands.