What's the real deal with Botox? Who should and shouldn't get laser hair removal? Is any cosmetic treatment going to make me look like one of the Real Housewives?
As women, especially - I'm sure some of these questions have gone through your head. I know they've done through mine (if one more person tells me I should invest in Botox because "it's preventative" I'll scream)! A lot of times when we think of plastic surgery, or cosmetic treatments, we automatically think of the worst case scenarios. But guess what? I'm still curious about a lot of it. Maybe I'll do it one day, maybe I won't - but either way there are a ton of questions out there that I'd like to get the answers to.
Have you heard of RealSelf? They're a local company that created an online resource for people looking for those answers. Kind of like an Angie's List for cosmetic treatments. They have hundreds of treatments and procedures listed on their site, and then people and doctor's "rate" these treatments based on how 'Worth It' it is. So for example, 98 percent of RealSelf data (over 35,500 ratings) says Breast Augmentation is "Worth It". Conversely, only 54 precent of folks say Latisse (the eyelash serum) is. The site also breaks down whether or not you need to be put under anesthesia for the procedure, how much downtime there is, the average cost, real before and after photos (not the marketing ones from the clinics, real ones).
I don't know about you, but I'm a data nerd. I want STATS and INFO, especially if I'm going to do something to my body, that potentially cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. And apparently I'm not alone, because RealSelf's website and services have blown up, so much so that they debuted a House of Modern Beauty event at South By Southwest event in Austin earlier this year. The event (free to the public) is a brick and mortar way for guests to explore and find out more info through visual installments treatment demonstrations, and panel discussions.
It did so well, RealSelf is bringing the House of Modern Beauty home to Seattle this weekend, October 19 and 20th at The Riveter in Fremont.
“Seattle has a burgeoning beauty community and we’re thrilled to be able to bring them the RealSelf House of Modern Beauty," said CEO and Founder Tom Seery. "Guests can try one of the treatments we’re offering—including injectables, microneedling, and laser hair removal—or attend the various panel discussions, which feature a talented lineup of media and local entrepreneurs. Our headquarters are in Seattle, but as a technology company, we don’t always get to connect with our community members face-to-face. It’s exciting to be able to do that, and really bring the RealSelf brand to life, through this fun pop-up event.”
The two-day event will do everything the one in Austin did: offer free treatment experiences, have experts on-hand to answer questions, have multiple panels. I'm actually on a Women in Media panel at 9 a.m. on October 19th if you want to see me and KOMO's Paris Jackson, along with Siemny Kim of KIRO 7 NEws, Sydney Mintle of Gossip & Glamour and Jenna Hanchard of The Riveter talk about office allies, equality in the workplace an representation in media.
But if you just want to stop by for the complimentary cosmetic treatments...we don't blame you. Here are what you can expect offered*:
- Mentor Breast Implants: Guests interested in learning more about implant options for breast augmentation or reconstruction can have their questions answered by a board-certified plastic surgeon.
- SkinCeuticals: SkinCeuticals provides leading antioxidant and sun protection skincare backed by science. SkinCeuticals products protect from environmental damage to improve skin health and visibly improve clarity, tone, and texture.
- Emsculpt: Emsculpt is a nonsurgical body shaping procedure that simultaneously addresses both muscle and fat. Emsculpt is FDA-cleared for the strengthening, toning and firming of the abdomen, buttocks and thighs.
- Vivace: Vivace is a nonsurgical microneedling treatment that stimulates the natural production of collagen and is shown to be effective in alleviating facial wrinkles and fine lines and toning the face, neck, hands and body.
- SoME: SoME+PRP is a skin rejuvenating treatment that combines personalized SoME skincare products with a patient's own platelet-rich plasma (PRP). The treatment reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and enhances skin tone and texture.
- Senza: Senza is a laser hair removal treatment that provides a lasting solution for excess or unwanted hair and is safe for all skin types.
- Emtone: Emtone is nonsurgical treatment that uses radiofrequency and targeted pressure energy to reduce cellulite.
- Emsella: Emsella is a nonsurgical treatment for stress urinary incontinence that uses electromagnetic technology to stimulate muscle contractions and strengthen the pelvic floor.
- vFit: Guests can learn about energy-based intimate wellness devices that use patented technology to help strengthen the pelvic floor.
*Participants must meet RealfSelf's eligibility requirements and complete a waiver and release form. Please note that all treatments are dependent on consultation with a health care provider, and that provides may determine that a treatment is not medically appropriate.