One of the many reasons I love my wife is that she let me turn our basement into a bar. It's complete with NEW tacky wood paneling, an old beat up pool table and an assortment of mid-to-bottom shelf booze. I'm not a big drinker, but I love having a good time with friends and family and in the process - serving a few cocktails. Now is not the time to have a party so, I'm sharing a drink with YOU.
First up, the Tequila Sunrise, a delightful day drinking option.
- Get a glass
- Put some ice in it
- Add some tequila (A real bartender would tell you exactly how much to put in, but I’m not a real bartender, I’m just a guy. And it’s your house, so you make the rules)
- Poor in the orange juice, then the grenadine. If you don’t have it, a little bit of that red juice from those unnaturally red cherries will do just fine.
- Done! A Tequila Sunrise in all of its two-toned glory
Next, one of the most famous cocktails in the whole world: The Old Fashioned.
- Start with a spoonful of sugar in a rocks glass
- Saturate it with some bitters, just regular stuff right out of the bottle.
- Add regular water, and then you’re going to muddle it withwhatever you can find around the house because after all, this is about not going out.
- Add ice
- Pour in the whisky
- Garnish with an orange peel and some of those cheapo red cherries
Next, this lime and gin dazzler - the Gimlet.
- You’ll need sweetened lime juice, which you can get from a bottle or make it yourself with sugar, fresh lime and just a little bit of water
- Give it a good swish.
- Add ice, combine with a few ounces of your favorite gin
- And then shake it!
- Strain, and garnish with a lime slice.
And for a classy nightcap, it’s hard to beat a Martini.
- Start by pouring a little bit of vermouth over ice in your shaker.
- Then take your strainer, and pour it out. In my opinion, you only need the vermouth that sticks to the ice
- Add a few ounces of gin or vodka if you prefer
- Shake it!
- I like to garnish mine with a garlic-stuffed olive.
From my home bar to yours, cheers.
If you'd like to see how I make these drinks, please watch the video at the top of this page. I don't claim to be a great mixologist but I hope I can inspire you to be creative and hopefully have fun making a few drinks to enjoy responsibly at home. And if you have some time on your hands, please shoot a video of yourself making your favorite cocktail and share it on our Facebook or Instagram page.