Fishermen, families, and seafood fanaticsrejoice! The Fishermen's Fall Festival is back for its 31st year at Seattle's Fishermen's Terminal on September 21. Celebrating the return of the North Pacific fleet, this fun event has something for everyone.
Your FREE admission gives you access to a variety of booths, activities, and events starting at 11:00 a.m. and ending at 6:00 p.m. All food and merchandise proceeds go to Seattle Fishermen's Memorial. The Seattle Fishermen's Memorial is a non-profit organization devoted to easing the emotional struggles and financial burden of education for surviving family members of fishermen lost at sea, as well as promoting safety in the fishing fleets. More can be found on their website.
Next weekend is no different from the past three decades in terms of anticipation and excitement, and the festival has some really awesome events lined up for visitors that are sure to delight:
- Tour the ship canal and the 1911 Halibut Schooner or stay ashore and take a kid-friendly cooking class with Seattle Cucina Cooking School!
- Head over to the demonstration stage with celebrity emcee Preston Phillips to see the Shifty Sailors (a fixture at the Festival for over a decade!). Be sure to stick around for new act Louie Foxx and his unique, magical one-man side show!
- Participate in the Oyster Slurp Contest for a chance to win cash prizes!
- Think you got what it takes to win an eating competition? Sign up for FREE at the demonstration state to test your stomach's capacity for a chance at $300!
- Enjoy a delicious seafood meal at the hands of Salmon BBQ that includes fresh salmon, corn-on-the-cob, coleslaw, a drink, and a heavenly dessert. And the best part? All dinner proceeds go towards the Seattle Fisherman's Memorial Foundation.
- At the main stage, join emcee Mark Christopher for exciting appearances from Reptile Man Scott Peterson, hoop dancer Jon Coyne, and Whidbey Island's The Lost Vuarnets.
- Snap a quick photo with the F/V Wizard from "The Deadliest Catch" for a memory that will last a lifetime!
Some of the other must-see events include survival suit races, photo booths, and tons of hands-on activities for kids!
Before you reel in your friends and family on this annual day trip, here are some things you should know:
1. Parking is limited. Carpool with friends and check out the parking map to know exactly where to dock your vessel!
2. Look out for the red volunteer and information tent for a map of activities so you don't miss out on your favorite events. You can also purchase fun vintage tees and tote bags!
3. Plan on touring the ship canal? Tours depart from Dock 9 at 12:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m., and 3:30 p.m., and boarding passes will be handed out 30 minutes prior to departure. Passengers MUST arrive five minutes prior to sailing.
4. Wine, beer, and cocktails will be available for purchase at the beer/wine/spirits garden 11-6 p.m. Visitors must have a valid ID for entry, and alcohol can only be consumed within the contained area.
5. Everything for purchase is CASH ONLY. Two ATMs will be available at the festival. One will be located near the Information/volunteer booth, and one will be set up by the food tents.
Fishermen's Fall Festival is running entirely by volunteers. The festival is always looking for enthusiastic individuals to help make the next annual event a huge success. The volunteer signup link is available on their website.
KOMO is proud to be a media partner for this fun, family-friendly event benefitting the local Northwest fishing industry for over 30 years.
For more information and a list of all the cool activities, visit http://www.fishermensfallfestival.org/.