I’ve owned an Elvis cookbook called "Fit for a King" for well over a decade, and I’ve only made the meat loaf and banana bread. I thought it time for me dig a little deeper and explore this book. Why not, it's quarantine after all.
As a huge Elvis fan, I decided to cook a complete meal based on some of the King’s favorite’s. "Fit for a King" calls this meal the Southern Feast: potato salad, cornbread and crispy fried chicken.
I’m not much of a cook. This could get interesting. Check out the video above to see my full attempt, and the recipes to the dishes are below. Everything turned out pretty good. I also have a better understanding of how the King put on all that weight in the 70’s...
The Famous Fried Peanut Butter-and-Banana Sandwich
- 2 slices home-style white bread
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 medium banana thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- Spread peanut butter on both slices of bread.
- Cover 1 slice of bread with banana slices.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in frying pan. Add bacon and cook until crisp.
- Remove and to a paper towel to drain and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings from the pan.
- Layer the crisp bacon over the banana slices and top with the second bread slice, peanut butter side down, pressing lightly to seal.
- Butter the outside of each bread slice and carefully add to the frying pan.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is brown and crisp. Turn and fry for 2 minutes more, until the bananas and peanut butter are just beginning to soften.
- Remove to a cutting board and slice in half.
- Serve hot with a favorite relish.
- 2 pounds of small potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp sweet pickle juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and cool.
- Evenly slice the potatoes and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Add the onion, eggs and celery.
- In a separate bowl blend the mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, salt and pepper.
- Toss the mayonnaise mixture into potatoes.
- Refrigerate about 3 hours.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all -purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs and enough milk to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a warm, well-greased bread pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 mins or until golden brown.
Crispy Fried Chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 2-pound fryer chicken, cut into serving pieces
- In a mixing bowl combine the pancake mix with the salt and water.
- Blend ingredients. Dip the chicken in the batter and drain excess batter.
- Deep fry chicken in hot oil (350 degrees) for 8 minutes each side.
- Drain on paper towels.