Sure, a glass of wine or a beer is a nice way to unwind – but every now and then, you deserve a happy hour that’s a little more...hmmm. What’s the word? Refined! Kelly Sparks of Queen Bee Mixology is graciously sharing a new cocktail with us every week, just in time for Happy Hour. Queen Bee is raising the bar for cocktails made at home with recipes that are both easy – and delicious! Want more? Connect with Queen Bee Mixology on social media for extra recipes and behind-the-scenes content. Please drink responsibly.
Bacon really does go with everything, including your old fashioned. This drink takes some effort but is well worth the reward! Who doesn’t want a bacon-infused bourbon on hand? These flavors were made for each other. The bacon infusion smooths out the bourbon and leaves the taste buds wanting more bacon.
- Bacon grease
- Sweet Vermouth
- Angostura Bitters
- Maple syrup
- Bacon for garnish
How to make it
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until done
- Pour fat from the pan into a bowl and let cool (should have about 1-ounce)
- Then combine a bottle of bourbon, the bacon fat and one slice of cooked bacon
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and freeze overnight
- Carefully remove the solidified fat on top of the bowl as well as the bacon slice
- Strain bourbon through 2 layers of cheesecloth back into the bottle
- In a glass with ice, add 2-ounces of bacon bourbon, 1-ounce of sweet vermouth, .5-ounces of maple syrup and two shakes of bitters
- Stir and add a slice of bacon as a garnish